Saturday, April 20, 2013

Make the most of it

This year (or ten months) has been...interesting. I was excited to move and serve and have a new experience but when I got here I found myself asking, "Little Rock, are you for real?" Working with my students, while challenging, has been a fantastic experience. But life outside of work made it seem as if this year would never end. Now I've made it to the final stretch.

6 weeks left in LR
5 weeks left in CY
4 weeks left in the school

We have less than 20 days left in the school! There are still some things I want to do with my time left here. Since the clock is ticking I'm trying to make the most of my time left. Here are some things I've done so far in my "no time left" spree (in no particular order).

1. Went to the derby. I got SUPER sunburned but it was a first time experience and it was worth it. The derby is a magical place where parking attendants kick out other pushy cars to let you take the last remaining parking space in the lot. It's a land where as you're walking to the gate, a friendly man in a car hands you the perfect amount of free passes for you and your friends. Although it's still a land where the horses I pick come in dead last so, not all reality is suspended.

2. Visit the Alligator Farm and petting zoo. Upon discovering that this was a real thing I was immediately drawn to it. The right there should have been a red flag. As mentioned in item number one, I'm not good at picking winners! This definitely seemed like a good idea but when we got there I realized two things. 1- Petting zoos are not my favorite. I feel much better with barrier separating me from animals. They gave us bread to feed the animals and I walked in, broke off pieces throwing them as far away from me as possible and promptly walked back out of the gated area. 2- The animals were not very happy to be there either. This was a very strange mix of animals to have at one "zoo" a lemur, a turkey, a "wolf", not animals that share the same habitat. They all had the same similar chain link area and all looked fairly sickly. It was a bad note to end the day on.

3. SAW AARON CARTER IN CONCERT! Calm down. When we found out he was coming to town we were pretty excited, especially when google research proved he hasn't put music out since Aaron's Party. Who doesn't want to relive the glory of How I Beat Shaq? The line for this show was out the door and down the sidewalk. Girls really slut it up for this show. I mean really. There was a dance with american flags though which really took it next level.

4. Began Tour de Pizza. This week I have told my team that I've just thought of living here as an extended vacation. Well, only when it comes to food. I know this is a bad idea but, hey I'm on vacation! YOLO. Tour de Pizza is a weekly pizza outing. We try a new pizza place every week! Brilliant. It has only just begun but so far sooo delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment