Sunday, February 24, 2013

Making Up For Lost Time

I've been in Little Rock for about seven months now. Crazy! Time has flown by and I've done a terrible job keeping people updated with what I've been up to. I spend most of my time here serving in a high school working with 9th graders on the ABCs (Attendance, Behavior, and Course Performance). My kids are hilarious and are fantastic to work with...most days. This job has been full of ups and downs but I am glad that I am where I am and have the students that I do.

Since I've been here for seven months already, I have a lot of catching up to do in this blog world. Here are a few highlights (in no particular order) from my time here:

Finding the Soup of the Day
 On one of our first night outings we met this guy who just happened to be none other than Lee Harris, the HR "person" for THE number one refrigerated trucking company. He went on to tell us about his history with this bar and how he used to come in every day for lunch and get the soup of the day. This conversation lasted quite a while. We thought he was full of it so it was a great discovery when we eventually found a menu and actually saw "Soup of the Day" on there!

Getting a trampoline!

This is the only thing resembling furniture in our living room. As you can see, the dinosaurs love it.

Getting to see my cousins!

Since Little Rock is much closer to Topeka than home, I was able to see my cousins for Thanksgiving! It was really nice to be with family over the holiday even if I didn't get to go home. Although I did find out that my cousins hated me along with the rest of the cousin clan for close to the entirety of their childhood.

Making these lil guys for my students!
I gave these out to students on the first day back to school after winter break. Although some kids rejected them and said things like "I don't eat things with eyes on it." Most students were really excited that I was giving them food and I was really excited that they were eating something other than Hot Cheetos and Takis.

Taking a ride on the Arkansas Queen!
From the moment I found out there was a riverboat here that does music cruises I was hooked. It was the only thing I wanted to do while in Little Rock and we did it! We went on an Old School Hip-Hop and Reggae Night. It was the best! We timed it just right because the Arkansas Queen is no longer servicing that area.

Living with these wonderful people!
I hit the jackpot and got the best roommates imaginable. Lots of good times at the unofficially named LOLiday Inn.

Last but certainly not least...
Dominating at the Arkansas State Fair!
Even though I went into this with nothing but funnel cake on my mind, what I got was more than I could have dreamed. That's right, I took on the Mega Corn Dog. What I'm pretty sure was no less than 2ft of battered goodness on a stick.
I think this is one of my proudest moments throughout my time here.

1 comment: